Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SWINE FLU

First it was the narcos, now it is the swine flu. I am getting many concerned inquiries about what is happening in San Luis with this new outbreak. Believe you me, it has many of us a little nervous, but at this time, there has not been any confirmed cases here in San Luis nor in the entire state of Sonora. The federal government, in an attempt to get the spread of the disease under control, has ordered all schools, public and private, to be closed till May 6. They have also made many recomendations to help avoid receiving the virus, including frequent hand washings, avoidance of any physical contact (hand shakes, hugs and kisses) and staying away from crowds. Our city and state government has complied with the federal orders as a preventitive measure, though there are no cases here. Right now we are all doing fine, but wondering what are we going to do with 45 kids on a 9 day vacation, without a group!

My opinon on this is they are making a major mountain out of what will probably end up to be a molehill. There have been deaths in Mexico, but most of those have been attributed to people who neglected to get treatment, thinking they could tough it out on their own. Because of pride, ignorance or lack of decent care, some have succombed to the disease. For the most part, those that have sought treatment are doing fine as if they were going through any other common flu. Frankly, I am more worried about what this nationwide shutdown will do to the already unstable economy here. Please pray for Mexico, San Luis and Caring Hearts. We are trusting God for his protection and wisdom during this time, and know that His best will come through for us.

If you are planning to come down to Mexico in the near future, again, as I said with the narco problem, ask yourself if you are called. Let God guide you as you decide. A virus is much more unpredictable than the drug war, so I can´t tell you what it will be like tomorrow, let alone two or three weeks from now. One day there were a few cases in Mexico, the next day there were cases in 5 American states, Canada, Spain, even Israel! While here in San Luis, there is nothing reported. That could change tomorrow. I will be following the San Luis news to let you know of any new developments. If God has called you to come, trust Him and come, He will protect you or bring you through the storm, whatever is best for you. Trust Him!

1 comment:

Brenda W. said...

I will never forget the people of San Luis, and the children of Bethel Orphanage and Oasis! If God is calling you to mission, you must go and trust His blanket of protection will cover you. Some of my family and friends were concerned for my safety, but I knew God was calling me and I cried 2300 out of the 2600 miles home. I left my heart there, and pray to return there again soon.