Friday, May 28, 2010

A WORD FROM PASTOR GARY


“I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.”
II Timothy 1:5

These are words that Apostle Paul wrote to a young pastor named Timothy. Timothy accompanied him on mission trips, planted churches and was the first Bishop of Ephesus. It seems that Paul had known him since he was a boy and that he was blessed to have Godly parents who taught him the Bible. Were you that fortunate?

My Grandma Simpson came to live with us for a few weeks when I was about 8 years old. She had severe rheumatoid arthritis and had been in a wheel chair for more than 30 years. She wasn’t able to go to church, but she read her Bible every day and preached to anyone who would listen. She had me memorize the names of the first 5 books of the Bible and although she moved back to my Aunt’s house and I didn’t really understand salvation she was instrumental in my coming to the Lord several years after she died.

The things I learned when my parents took me to the Episcopal Church were also stepping stones in my spiritual journey. I was fortunate to have those experiences. The kids at Bethel and Oasis don’t have that heritage. Most come from broken, dysfunctional and abusive homes. The only Godly Grandparents and parents they will ever know are the volunteers who go down there, hold them, love them and teach them by word and example what it means to be a Christian. When you ladies do that you become the children’s “Lois” or “Eunice” and you men are like Paul; a spiritual father to sons and daughters in the Lord.

All of you who are unable to go but who pray and donate to Caring Hearts are a part of the spiritual heritage of a Mexican girl or boy. Thank you for investing in these precious little ones. You will never know in this life how great an impact you had on so many.

Be Blessed in 2010
Pastor Gary Simpson.

No comments: