Saturday, February 28, 2009

IS IT SAFE? AM I CALLED?

I have been receiving inquiries from everyone who is planning to come down on the safety of Mexico at this time. There have been a number of frightening reports on the news about the increased violence with the drug traffickers. I have read a few, and believe you me, they scare me too, and I live here! At the same time, I can say this: The drug war you have been reading about has not affected San Luis at this time. If you didn't read the news, you would never know anything is going on at all. Is it safe in San Luis? I think it is just as safe as any other city in the world. If you want to find trouble, and you go to the wrong places at the wrong times, you will find it. I think there is more danger here from people running stop signs than criminal activitys. I read the police blotter on occasion, and it looks like a small town one, with only accidents and minor events reported. Sometimes there have been crimes of passion or gang related violence, but if one stays off the streets at night, you never get a sense things like that happen. Every time I visit Pittsburgh, and watch the local news, there are reports of people getting shot. You hear that in cities like Detroit, Los Angeles, Washington DC that there are murders everyday. Does that mean I shouldn't go to the United States? No, we just have to be aware of the specific places and times where trouble can be found and avoid those places at those times. We at Caring Hearts have years of experience with no inicidents with criminals nor violence. We do our utmost to provide a safe enviroment and experience for our groups. In my four years, I have taken two folks to the hospital, one because he dropped their trailer on his foot, and the other because he fell of the children's swings (since then we have prohibited any one from using them.) Granted, noone can guarantee safety. Things can change and incidents could happen, but this is true in the home where you are reading this right now. One friend of mine has a theory that makes some sense. Reports like this are going out to scare people so they will vacation in the States instead of Mexico, which is a lot cheaper. I read they are warning AZ spring breakers to not go to Mexico, and it is working, many are making plans to go to Las Vegas instead. What is being reported are isolated incidents in a handful of cities within a specifiic group of people. 99.9 percent of Mexicans are going through life as normal, doing what they can to survive and provide for their families as honestly as possible. That is all I see here in San Luis, partly because I know when it is safe to be out and when it is safer to be home. We supply our groups with that same knowledge, and if they obey us, history has proved they will be as safe as anywhere.

I want to take this opportunity to speak about another question, related to the one of "Is it Safe?" That question is "Am I Called?" I believe as we are planning to take a trip to Mexico, that is the first and formost question we must be concerned about. If scary reports put fear into you that make you have second thoughts, take it to God and ask that question - Am I Called? I am reminded of a story in the book of Acts 21:10-14:

And as we were staying there for some days, a certain prophet name Agabus came down from Judea. And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands, and said, "This is what the Holy Spirit says: 'In this way the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him int the hands of the Gentiles.'" And when we had heard this, we as well as the local residents began begging him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered "What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but even to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." And since he would not be persuaded, we fell silent, remarking "The will of the Lord be done!"

Paul had a call, a mission, a purpose and destiny to fulfill. He knew from God what that call was, and what it would entail. He did not let a scary report divert him from what God wanted for him. Do you have the same attitude for your trip to Mexico?

I remember when I was called to go to Mexico City 19 years ago. When I spoke to the missionary I wanted to work with, he did all he could to scare me, telling me the dangers of living in Mexico's inner city. I did not let that change my mind, because I knew I was called. I went to Mexico, and you know what? It was dangerous. I was in 5 different auto accidents and was mugged 3 times in my 14 years there. My wife had rocks and eggs thrown at her and was kidnapped and threatened with death for preaching the gospel. But I am convinced it was all part of God's plan for me. At the same time I was blessed with a beautiful wife and daughter, saw God work through me in many ways, met and fellowshiped with wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ. Sometimes I look back, and thank God that I am not there anymore, but at the same time I thank Him that He let me go through those things, because I learned to not trust in myself, "but in God who raises the dead" (2 Cornthians 1:9-10) Through it all, I came out of all the experiences, good and bad, healthy, whole and closer to my God. I am convinced though, if I had not come out whole, if even I had lost my life, that it would still have been a part of God's plan for me, which is the BEST for me, because THAT is where He called me to be. Can you say the same about your upcoming trip to Mexico?

The purpose of this article is to convince you that as someone who lives here, I can assure you that San Luis is a safe place to visit at this time. But if I could not assure that, would that change what God has called you to do? You know what, even if it was dangerous, our kids would still be here, in need of your love and affection. Even if it was dangerous, the needy would still need to hear the gospel and receive rice and beans. Even if it was dangerous, the men and women in the rehab and jail would need your edifying words. Even if it was dangerous, God would continue to move through His people to reach the needs. The question you must ask rather than "Is it Safe?" is "Am I Called?", because if the answer is yes, it should not matter how safe it is. You would be in God's hands, and His will, which is His best for you, would be done.

PS I know some of you are concerned not for yourselves but for your sons and daughters who are planning to come down. Only they can know for sure if they are called or not. That is between them and God. But being minors you are responsible for them. To you, I want to say again, that here at Caring Hearts, we do our utmost to keep our groups safe, and we have not had a crime related incident in the four years I have been here. If your child is called, be assured that God will use us to keep them as safe as possible while they are in San Luis. The drug wars are not being fought here, and we do not wander around the streets at night, which is where there would be danger in ANY city around the world.

1 comment:

lola said...

Hola! My husband nd I just got home from a very upclose & personal visit to Bethel Orphanage during the week of March 2~9, and Yes! We were called and it is safe! We started out by meeting with Adalberto, Ken & Patty. My husband and the boys at Oasis built a closet for Patty on Tuesday & Wednesday. We did some painting & framework at Ken's on Thursday; on Friday we visited the Nursing Home & Women's Rehab ending with some shopping near the border. Saturday, before we left we delivered ice cream to the Soup Kitchen and mingled with the people there. We had a rental car and came and went pretty much on our own. We loved on, and played with the children, had pizza parties, ice cream and had devotions. I can honestly say that I never once felt afraid or threatned by anyone or anything. God is alive and well in San Luis and the people are hungry for love, attention, the word, food and any kind of help those of us who are more fortunate can give them. Ken's blog "Is It Safe? Am I Called?" is right on. ~Lori (&Robert) Laskovics